Dry Falls: sunny, but windy April 5th, 2011

It was a gorgeous morning clear and sunny. We woke up at 6:30 and was out the door by 7:30 with the rig packed, lunches made and off to Dry Falls for a fine weather day of fishing. Originally out plan was to fish Amber lake but decided on changing up after yesterday and out conversation with some local Spokane fisherman that said it was fishing ok but not as good as coffeepot. We figured that the weather wasn’t going to improve in the Spokane and Sprague locations, and wanted a change if scenery so Dry Falls was the next best thing.

The evening before we stopped over at Lenore for a peek and a photo tells a thousand words: cold, windy, and no one fishing. We did rig up and walk down to roll cast for a little bit, but no take downs or Lahontans anywhere!

I haven’t been to Dry Falls for two years since I never made it out all of last season, and I typically like to go over once if not twice each year. I never seems to amaze me with the scenery and how beautiful it was out there until this morning I could appreciate the solitude and the wonderful formation of the lake. Here’s a little tour of the lake for those that haven’t been to the lake, the video doesn’t do the place justice, but give you an idea of your surroundings.

We proceeded to fish along the north side in 8′ of water as I was hoping the the water was a little warmer having more exposure to the sun. There we struck out, so then wanted to try some 25′ water in the middle, again struck out, but it was still early and there wasn’t much going on in terms of hatch so it was to be as expected. I finally decided to head back to a more protected area from the wind also in 25′ of water since I had marked fish previously when rowing out.

I decided this was our best chance and down the anchors went. Not only did the anchors go down so did my indicator, with 13″ rainbow at the end. I sampled it and only Daphnia but no chironomids. It was 10 am but not a real huge hatch coming off but it was our first fish.

I picked off another fish but decided to move into more leader friendly water 17′. I started picking off fish, numerous 13-14″ trout, silvery and strong diving rainbows. All came on my size 18 snow cone bloodworm with black rib on a curved scud hook in 2X

That fly resulted in many fish to hand. even though these 13-14″ they were the hardest fighting trout and the larger ones in the 16-18″ didn’t fight as well as those silver bullets.

After a couple of hours pestering those fish I wanted to get into the deep water and try my for some bigger fish. We would anchor up in 30′ of water and down the lines went, I got the first fish on a 16 chromer while Jeff was keeping busy with his vertical method getting some payback for his slower start.

We ended the day at 3:30 under windy skies and a storm moving in, so it was best to get on the road since our ETA was going to be well after 10 pm.  We did stop off for gas and dinner in Ellensburg, and had a great burger at the Ranch 14 restaurant, one of my favorites in eastern WA. One of the best burgers to try is the 1/3 lb’er with cheese, bacon, and a fried egg.  Good stuff!

I landed 34 fish with many lost and many LDRs. Jeff got into the low 20s but wasn’t keeping count,  but did comeback a little with the deep water bite in the 30′ section. The largest I measured was a 18″ male bow that was colored up for the spawn. I also caught a female at the same location and was 17″, probably a mating pair as there were no other spawning fish caught thereafter. The throat samples revealed lost of Daphnia, Chironomids in size 16-18 and some smaller 20’s, a damsel fly, and a big dragon fly nymph, also Jeff sampled a big leech, which I don’t know how it managed to get sucked up into the stomach pump. By the third day my chapped and finger ripped up hands had enough of water, teeth, flies, and was looking forward to some Cetaphil lotion.

This was my best outing to Dry Falls and glad that I was able to spend the last few days fishing with my buddy Jeff. Sorry for the typos and grammar, as I was writing and posting on my iphone and haven’t gone back to proofread.   Just glad to be home, with a hot shower and glad we made it off the pass, it was getting closed going up I-90 eastbound as the snow was pretty bad and we were sitting at the edge of our seats trying to look out the windshield.

Categories: Fishing Reports | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: